Two brothers die of Cholera; they reportedly ate fish from contaminated river
- Komo River has lately been turned into a raw-sewage dumping site by exhauster operators.
- The duo died reportedly after consuming a fish from the contaminated river.
Two brothers have died of cholera in Komo village, Thika, Kiambu County.
Francis Karanja, 42 and his elder brother Stephen Njoroge, 52, are reported to have contracted the deadly disease eating a fish from the heavily contaminated Komo River.
The river has lately been turned into a raw-sewage dumping site by exhauster operators who contravene waste disposal guidelines by Thika Water and Sewerage Company.
Nelius Njeri says her husband Francis started ailing last weekend and was put under homecare management. But his sickness worsened, forcing the family to seek help at Munyu Health Centre.
Karanja was referred to Thika Level Five hospital for specialised treatment. Meanwhile, Stephen, who was also ailing, was discharged after a series of check-ups.
Later, his conditioned too worsened and he too was admitted at the Hospital. The duo died while receiving treatment.
Villagers led by David Chege and Kiarie Gachengeci protested poor sanitation and high uptake of contaminated water at Komo village as a result of collapse of their local water project that was supplying them with clean water.
Thika Level Five Hospital medical superintendent Dr. Robert Muchina who spoke via text message confirmed that contact tracing has commenced. Muchena added that public health officers are in pursuit of the matter to avert further incidents.
The residents called upon Kiambu governor Kimani Wamatangi to intervene and ensure provision of clean, safe water for all residents.
A month ago, Wamatangi banned food hawking in a bid to contain the Cholera situation in the County.
- Advertisement -