Safaricom PLC has committed KSh10 million towards the 2026 edition of the Magical Kenya Open, reinforcing its support for Kenyan golf and youth development.
Safaricom PLC Chief Consumer Business Officer, Fawzia Ali-Kimanthi, said that out of the total sponsorship, Sh1 million will specifically support the popular “Beat the Pro” challenge — an initiative designed to give junior golfers a rare opportunity to compete head-to-head with seasoned professionals.
“Out of the KSh10 million that we have sponsored, Sh1 million will go towards the ‘Beat the Pro’ tournament, where we will be allowing junior golfers to go head-to-head with professional players.
“We believe this will not only be exciting but will also help sharpen their skills. This is part of our broader commitment to building sport from the grassroots level,” Fawzia said on the sidelines of the sponsorship announcement.
In addition to logistical support, Safaricom will award each winning junior golfer seed capital of KSh50,000, to be deposited into their Ziidi accounts — an initiative aimed at introducing young athletes to structured investing at an early age.
“All the winners will receive seed capital that will be deposited into their Ziidi Accounts. This is our way of showing young people how they can start investing early.
“From the comfort of their homes, just on their phones, they are able to invest in the Ziidi Money Market Fund. It is very simple. Once you have the App, you can move money from M-PESA to the Ziidi mini-App to invest, and you can withdraw just as easily. Interest is paid daily, and we believe this will be exciting and empowering for the young golfers,” she added.
The 57th edition of the Magical Kenya Open will tee off on February 19, 2026, at the iconic Karen Country Club in Nairobi, running for four days until February 22, 2026.
The tournament remains one of Africa’s premier golf events and is part of the DP World Tour calendar, attracting elite international and local players.
Now in its second year under Safaricom’s sponsorship, the “Beat the Pro” challenge has grown into one of the tournament’s most anticipated platforms for fan engagement and development.
Launched to demystify the professional game and inspire young golfers, the challenge allows selected juniors to take on professionals in a controlled competitive format.
The initiative gives young golfers a platform to hone their skills, build confidence and strengthen their competitive edge, while exposing them to high-performance standards early in their careers. This year’s “Beat the Pro” challenge will be staged on February 21 at the Karen Country Club.
Fawzia said Safaricom has also collaborated with other corporates to enhance Kenyan participation at this year’s tournament.
Earlier in the season, corporates came together to sponsor three to four local players each, enabling them to compete consistently across various tournaments in preparation for the Kenya Open.
“The Magical Kenya Open is a global event that offers incredible visibility for Kenyan players. Together with other corporates, we asked ourselves how we could ensure more Kenyans get a better chance and better outcomes at the tournament. Earlier in the year, we supported players who have been competing across different tournaments, and we believe they are well prepared,” she noted.
A total of 11 Kenyan players are set to participate in this year’s edition, with three of the four players supported by Safaricom securing slots in the tournament.
