The National Police Service has acknowledged critical lapses in its handling of the Kwa Binzaro tragedy, citing failures in intelligence gathering, investigations, and inter-agency coordination.
Police spokesperson Michael Muchiri admitted that despite lessons drawn from the Shakahola massacre, a similar crisis has unfolded, exposing weaknesses in the country’s security response.
“This is a deeply saddening development,” Muchiri told reporters. “There appears to have been a disconnect between intelligence services, the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, and the broader administrative framework.”
He confirmed that a mistake had been made and pledged a comprehensive review to determine how such a tragedy could recur.
Authorities have urged the public to remain patient as investigations proceed, assuring that corrective measures will be implemented to prevent future failures.
https://twitter.com/tv47digital/status/1961419101290598906
Thirty-two (32) bodies have been discovered from the site so far while more than 60 people are feared to have died after links to the new cult.
Thursday, August 28 saw the exhumation of seven more bodies, and an additional 54 body parts collected across the forest.
Government pathologist Richard Njoroge said the bodies had not fully decomposed.
“We have noted that at this particular site the bodies look a bit fresh. They are not fully skeletonized unlike last week. The bodies we exhumed last week were full skeletons with no flesh. But the bodies we found here look to have been buried a few months or weeks ago,” said Dr. Njoroge.