Former Deputy President and Democracy For the Citizens Party (DCP) leader Rigathi Gachagua has challenged Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja to guarantee the safety of his entourage and supporters ahead of his planned visit to Emurua Dikirr Constituency in Narok County on Friday, August 21, 2026.
In a statement dated 20th August, 2026, addressed to Kanja, Gachagua said he would travel to the constituency at the invitation of DCP candidate Vincent Rotich, who contested the May 14, 2026, Emurua Dikirr by-election.
Gachagua said the visit would bring together thousands of DCP supporters alongside leaders from across the country for a thanksgiving occasion.
The planned visit comes amid alleged threats targeting Gachagua and his supporters.
Gachagua claimed that Emurua Dikirr MP David Kipsang Keter and others had issued threats warning his entourage against entering the constituency on Friday.
He said the threats had been captured on video, circulated online and reported by both mainstream and social media platforms.
“My attention has, however, been drawn to threats issued by the current Member of Parliament for Emurua Dikirr, Mr. David Kipsang Keter and a handful of others… that my entourage and I should not set foot in Emurua Dikirr on 21st August 2026,” Gachagua said.
The DCP Party Leader went further to make serious allegations against senior government officials, claiming that Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen and Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo had allegedly financed efforts to mobilise goons and plain-clothes police officers to disrupt the event.
Gachagua alleged that the planned confrontation could surpass the chaos witnessed in Homa Bay over the weekend.
“I am aware that the CS for Interior and Coordination of National Government, Mr. Kipchumba Murkomen, and the PS for Interior Mr. Raymond Omollo have financed Mr. Kipsang to mobilise goons and plain-clothes police officers to cause mayhem of a higher magnitude than the Homa Bay chaos over the weekend,” he alleged.
He also directly criticized Kanja over the conduct of the National Police Service (NPS), accusing the Inspector General of failing to effectively command the police.
“What happened in Homa Bay was a shame of the highest magnitude in post-independence Kenya, and by now you should have resigned as IG of the National Police Service,” Gachagua said.
The former Deputy President reminded Kanja of his constitutional responsibility to protect life and property, insisting that he had a right to travel to any part of the country.
“Mr. Kanja, I wish to remind you that you took the oath of office to protect human life and property for all Kenyans. I also wish to adequately inform you that I am a Kenyan with the right to visit any part of the country, and I have the right to enjoy the freedoms guaranteed under the Constitution of Kenya. Note that Emurua Dikirr is part of Kenya,” Gachagua stated.
Gachagua also revisited an earlier complaint he says he made to the Inspector General following attacks against him.
According to Gachagua, he visited Kanja’s office in Nairobi on January 30, 2026, where he presented evidence concerning 24 alleged attacks against him.
He complained that months later, no action had been taken against those he accused of being responsible.
“Several months later, no action has been taken by yourselves. The persons involved in the attacks are still wreaking havoc across the country as you watch,” he said.
Gachagua warned Kanja that he could ultimately be held responsible for actions carried out by the security agencies under his command.
He claimed that President William Ruto, Murkomen and Omollo were setting up the Inspector General to face potential criminal liability before the International Criminal Court, describing Kanja as “the sacrificial lamb.”
Gachagua also referenced the legacy of the 2007/08 post-election violence, urging Kanja to take full command of the National Police Service ahead of the 2027 General Election or resign.
“You either take charge of the Police Service ahead of the 10th August 2027 General Election or resign,” he said.
The DCP leader concluded his statement with three direct questions to Kanja: whether he could guarantee the safety of his entourage and Emurua Dikirr residents, whether police were fully aware of the planned visit, and whether adequate security measures had been put in place to protect lives and property in the constituency.
The questions now put the responsibility on NPS as Gachagua prepares to visit Emurua Dikirr on Friday, amid alleged threats and fears of possible unrest.
