Sharon Otieno Murder: Obado requests non-custodial sentence citing health and age

News
Sharon Otieno Murder: Obado requests non-custodial sentence citing health and age

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has maintained his innocence in the murder of Sharon Otieno, saying he respects the court’s verdict but disagrees with the finding that he was involved in her death.

In a probation report filed before the High Court, Obado said he did not participate in Sharon’s murder, although he acknowledged that the two had been in an intimate relationship.

The report was prepared following interviews conducted as part of a social inquiry ahead of his sentencing.

Obado asked the court to consider a lenient sentence, including a non-custodial sanction, citing his age, health condition and the length of time the case had taken to conclude.

The probation assessment states that Obado was born on June 24, 1962, and is from Maue village in Migori County. It describes him as a key pillar of his family who has supported relatives and members of the wider community.

According to the report, Obado worked as a teacher before venturing into politics, where he later became a director and chairman of the Kenya Sugar Board. He subsequently served two terms as Migori governor, having been elected in 2013 and re-elected in 2017.

Probation officers noted that Obado had no previous criminal convictions. Family members and members of his community described him as a person who actively participated in church activities and supported vulnerable people.

The report also states that Obado suffers from hypertension and had complained of pain around his left shoulder.

On his relationship with Sharon, Obado told probation officers that he had known her and that they had been in a relationship for about four months. He said he ended the relationship because of what he described as her incessant demands and dishonesty.

Obado said Sharon had informed him that she was pregnant and that he was prepared to take responsibility for the child after birth, subject to a DNA test.

The report says Obado acknowledged that he had entrusted his personal assistant, Michael Juma Oyamo, with handling matters involving Sharon, including linking up with her.

On his attitude towards the offence, the probation report states that Obado does not accept responsibility for the murder but acknowledges the tragic outcome of Sharon’s death.

He told the officers that he respected the court’s verdict and expressed remorse over the loss of life. He also said he remained willing to support Sharon’s family and pursue reconciliation.

In a significant development, Sharon’s family told probation officers that they had no objection to Obado being considered for a lenient sentence, citing the support he had continued to provide to them.

The family also welcomed reconciliation efforts and asked that Obado be allowed to honour promises and pledges he had made to Sharon’s parents. They said this would help ease the economic difficulties they have faced since her death.

Sharon was 26 when she was killed on September 3, 2018. She was a second-year student at Rongo University and a mother of three children. The probation report states that she was also pregnant at the time of her death.

The report has been presented to the High Court to assist the judge in determining the appropriate sentence following Obado’s conviction.

The court is expected to consider the probation report alongside the victim impact report and submissions from the prosecution and defence before sentencing Obado.

Trending Now


Businesses under the Pubs, Entertainment and Restaurants Association of Kenya (PERAK) have petitioned…


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

*we hate spam as much as you do

More From Author


Related Posts

See all >>

Latest Posts

See all >>