Bungoma Linda Mwananchi aspirants demand PS Omollo, IG Kanja resignation over Homa Bay violence

Politics
Bungoma Linda Mwananchi aspirants demand PS Omollo, IG Kanja resignation over Homa Bay violence

Political aspirants allied to Linda Mwananchi in Bungoma County have condemned the violence witnessed during the movement’s rally in Homa Bay last Sunday, demanding the immediate resignation of Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo and Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja over what they termed as failure by security agencies to protect citizens and uphold the constitutional right to peaceful assembly.

The aspirants accused security agencies of failing to adequately protect supporters during the rally, leading to the violence that led to two people killed, 46 others injured and more than six vehicles burnt to ashes.

Addressing journalists in Bungoma Town, senatorial aspirant Eric Nakhurenya alleged that the violence was coordinated by individuals linked to the Homa Bay County Government.

“We are here today in the strongest terms possible to condemn the attacks, which were largely coordinated,” Nakhurenya said.

He questioned the preparedness of security agencies ahead of the rally, noting that PS Omollo had appeared in the media days before the event and given assurances regarding security arrangements.

“We want to remind the government of the day that democracy is one of the values that is guaranteed under the Constitution,” he said.

Nakhurenya said public officials have a responsibility to protect citizens regardless of their political affiliations, arguing that failure to guarantee peaceful political engagement could undermine public confidence in the country’s democratic institutions.

“Whenever that trust has disappeared, the most honorable thing that the Inspector General and the PS for Interior should actually do is resign,” he said.

He also challenged security agencies to demonstrate their independence and professionalism as political activities intensify ahead of the next general polls.

“As we get into the electioneering period, IEBC requires strong security institutions that should be guaranteed,” he said.

Nakhurenya questioned why Linda Mwananchi supporters had been able to hold peaceful engagements in other parts of the country but encountered resistance during the Homa Bay meeting.

“It cannot be that we have had peaceful engagements as Linda Mwananchi in other parts of the country, and we are even planning to go to Meru. How come in a region like Nyanza we are having coordinated goons to stop people from exercising their freedom of expression?” he posed.

The Linda Mwananchi team also urged the national government to strengthen security around political gatherings and ensure that citizens can participate in political activities without fear of intimidation or violence.

Roselinda Atwoli, a woman rep aspirant, also condemned the alleged disruption of the Homa Bay rally and called for investigations into the circumstances surrounding the violence.

She further accused governor Gladys Wanga of failing to ensure that the political gathering proceeded peacefully, while urging leaders to respect the rights of political groups to mobilize and engage with citizens.

She defended Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna’s political engagements across the country, saying he had received support from many Kenyans and should be allowed to interact with residents without intimidation or disruption.

Atwoli urged political leaders to embrace tolerance and allow different groups to sell their ideas to voters as the country approaches the 2027 elections.

Trending Now


Police in Teso South, Busia County, have arrested two suspected members of a…


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

*we hate spam as much as you do

More From Author


Related Posts

See all >>

Latest Posts

See all >>