Murkomen: Matatu strike is political sabotage against Ruto, not a genuine fuel protest

National News
Murkomen: Matatu strike is political sabotage against Ruto, not a genuine fuel protest

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has criticized the Matatu Owners Association, dismissing their protests over rising fuel prices as politically motivated.

He added that they (protests) are designed to destabilise President William Ruto’s government rather than address any genuine grievances.

Speaking to the media on Monday evening in Nairobi after a day of demonstrations across the country, Murkomen questioned why matatu operators had never taken to the streets during Uhuru Kenyatta’s presidency despite similar or worse fuel price situations, yet found it necessary to do so now.

“During that time, we never organised protests. In fact, matatu industry leaders never protested against the government. The question that we are asking ourselves is, why did they feel that it was okay to understand President Uhuru Kenyatta, but when it is President William Ruto, we should go to the streets?” he posed.

The CS announced that investigations had been launched to identify and prosecute those who infiltrated what he described as peaceful demonstrations and turned them violent.

He confirmed that four people died during the protests, 30 others were injured, and gangs used the cover of the demonstrations to rob passengers and pedestrians.

Murkomen also revealed that some politicians, including former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua, are being investigated over remarks that he said could have incited lawlessness in some parts of the country.

“We are witnessing a scheme in which a section of the political class is making statements to fan the flames of intolerance and ethnic bigotry, organising gangs to spread terror and sabotage government projects, and profiling and intimidating those with a different political opinion, especially those who support the government,” he said.

The government also disclosed that two trucks belonging to the Rironi-Mau Summit road project contractor were set on fire during the unrest.

Murkomen vowed that those behind the violence would face the full force of the law.

“We will intensify the fight against organised crime and its sponsors, who are hell-bent on propagating anarchy. The full force of the law will be brought against those who organised today’s violent destruction of property,” he warned, adding that around 340 people had been arrested in connection with the illegal demonstration.

Trending Now


TikTok has released its Q4 2025 Community Guidelines Enforcement Report, highlighting its continuous…


Subscribe to Our Newsletter

*we hate spam as much as you do

More From Author


HEALTH, WORLD .
Ebola death toll in DR Congo rises to 131

Related Posts

See all >>

Latest Posts

See all >>