Sugar billionaire Rai withdraws all cases against Mumias after abduction

Business & Tech
Sugar billionaire Rai withdraws all cases against Mumias after abduction

Billionaire and West Kenya Sugar Company chairperson Jaswant Rai on August 31, withdrew from all cases challenging Mumias Sugar’s lease both at Appellate and Commercial courts.

The withdrawal of the cases comes a few days after the West Kenya Sugar Company chairperson was abducted by unknown people in Nairobi.

Jaswant Rai was abducted a week ago by gunmen in Nairobi. During the incident, he was forced out of his car and bundled into a pick-up that had blocked him, before he was driven away.

He was later set free, although details about his kidnapping were not so clear but he was not injured during the incident.

Mumias Sugar Company in Kakamega County.

Withdrawal of the cases challenging the lease of Mumias Sugar emerged after concerns were being raised over obstacles in the reviving of the giant sugar company.

President William Ruto, during his tour in Kakamega on August 28, had threatened to take action against powerful individuals associated with the collapse of Mumias Sugar and other sugar millers in Kenya.

“We have told those people to move out.  Mumias belongs to the people and we shall plan for the revival of the sugar mill afresh,” the president said.

The head of state also maintained that the government would not allow cases filed in court at the expense of reviving the sugar millers.

West Kenya Sugar, which is owned by Rai, has filed three notices of withdrawal at the Court of Appeal to terminate their petitions challenging the award of Mumias to rival Sarrai Group.

Vartox Resource Inc, a Dubai-based firm had earlier withdrawn its petition at the same court where the company had challenged the leasing of Mumias Sugar.   

Jaswant Rai had filed a case in court to challenge the lease arrangement and the manner in which Mumias Sugar Company was handed over to Sarrai Group.

Related Posts

See all >>

Latest Posts

See all >>