Gachagua visits Juja OCS after arrow attack by chang’aa brewers

Gachagua visits Juja OCS after arrow attack by chang’aa brewers

Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has reiterated that the fight against illicit alcohol and drugs will not relent and warned dealers that they have nowhere to hide.

The DP spoke after visiting the Juja Police Station Commander John Misoi at the Avenue Hospital in Thika, Kiambu County who was hospitalized after he was shot with an arrow by brewers of chang’aa during a raid on Easter Monday.

Gachagua said police and other officers who are at the forefront in the fight have the full government support for successful implementation of the State’s directives to deal with the menace.

He was accompanied by Kiambu Senator Karungo wa Thang’wah and Juja MP George Koimburi. This occurred even as one suspect was arraigned in court over the attack and remanded.

He also assured security officers involved in the crackdown that the government will protect them and is fully behind them in the war to eradicate bad liquor and drugs.

Gachagua noted that the Presidential Task Force on police reforms is being worked on and from July this year, the officers will have better terms of service.

Arrow attack suspect in court

In the Thika court, Peter Karanja was detained for days in connection with the Sunday night attack on the OCS in order to give police time to complete investigations. 

The OCS is currently nursing arrow wounds in the knee at Avenue Hospital after a police operation targeting iliicit brews and drugs in Gachororo village in Juja sub-county turned violent on March 31.

The officer sustained a wound to his right leg with an arrow lodged in his knee. The hospital manager Dr Linet Karanja said they were able to remove the arrow head yesterday, adding that the patient was responding well to treatment and ready for discharge from tomorrow.

Karanja appeared before Thika Chief Magistrate Philip Mutua where the prosecution and the Investigating Officer, David Gacheru, applied to hold the suspect for 10 days to allow for completion of investigations.

While making the application, Gacheru told the court that the injured officer is yet to record a statement and that they are waiting for a medical report so as to enter the P3 form.

Thika Chief Magistrate Philip Mutua granted the application noting that the matter is of public interest since the officer was attacked in his line of duty. He, however noted that the suspect can be visited by his relatives or lawyers while in custody.

The matter will be mentioned on April 11, 2024.

Related Posts

See all >>

Latest Posts

See all >>